Friday, August 15, 2008

Patriotism at its best

So although I haven't been able to watch too much of the Olympics, I have had the privilege of seeing some of the upsets. And last night was no different. Lukas, J, and I watched the movie Stick It and right after it was over Lukas and I turned on the Olympics and it was the girls gymnastic overall individual competition. We were able to see our girls get the gold and silver upsetting all expectations. I have to admit I may have gotten a little teary eyed watching them standing there as the national anthem play and I couldn't help but think about what the Olympics is all about. Yes, it's a bunch of super skinny individuals who have stronger muscles in their big toe than I do in my whole body, but I've concluded that it means even more. The Olympics brings out the patriotism in all of us, no matter what your political affiliation is, how much money you make, or what your education may be. I love it! And seeing how America rises up to overcome the odds, you can't help but be at least a little proud about our somewhat screwed up but all in all pretty alright "Home of the free and the land of the brave".

No comments: