Sunday, July 27, 2008

Flying away

Ok, so I don't know about anyone else, but there's those times I experience something that hits me and I begin to look around me and notice just how frequently I hear or see something that resembles that or hits that same button. For me, it is typically with music and lately I've been noticing all of the songs that seem to apply to me taking on this next chapter of my life. I feel for my friends because there are so many songs I hear on the radio that I'm like "this is so my life song right now". But as you are leaving all you know and love you kind of tend to look for comfort wherever you can, something that makes you feel not so alone, and these songs seem to help with that. For instance, there's an Alanis Morrissette song called Wunderkind where it says, "I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment/ I am a wunderkind oh oh oh oooooh/ And I lift the envelope pushed far enough to believe this/ I am a princess on the way to my throne / Destined to serve, destined to roam" And there are yet still others like the Kelly Clarkson song where her chorus says, "I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly/I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky/And I'll make a wish/Take a chance/Make a change/ And breakaway/Out of the darkness and into the sun/But I won't forget all the ones that I love/I'll take a risk/Take a chance/Make a change/ And breakaway. But oh there's more, a song by Regina Spektor called The Call and the lyrics include, "All you can do is try to know Who your friends are/As you head off to the war/Pick a star on the dark horizon/And follow the light/I'll come back/When you call me/No need to say good bye", and finally the one that I seem to relate to the most is the Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park with the line "sometimes beginnings aren't so simple, sometimes goodbye's the only way". I know this is kind of a depressing thought, but it does help me to kind of put words to some of the things I'm feeliing. To conclude this little thought, I found this quote today by Mark Twain which I feel kind of encapsulates yet more of my thoughts and trying to give myself some encouragement, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

No comments: